The types of personal information we may collect about you include:
- your name;
- your personal contact details, including email address, mailing address, street address and/or telephone number;
- your work contact details, including company name, website, email, mailing address, street address and/or telephone number;
- your date of birth;
- your gender;
- your credit card or other payment details directly through our website or through our third party payment processor;
- your demographic information, such as postcode;
- your preferences in relation to volunteering activities and times;
- your reasons for donating;
- information you provide to us through customer surveys;
- your work history for prospective volunteers, contractors and employees applying, enquiring or registering for opportunities;
- details of products and services we have provided to you and/or that you have enquired about, and our response to you;
- your browser session and geo-location data, device and network information, statistics on page views and sessions, acquisition sources, search queries and/or browsing behaviour;
- information about your access and use of our Site, including through the use of Internet cookies, your communications with our Site, the type of browser you are using, the type of operating system you are using and the domain name of your Internet service provider;
- additional personal information that you provide to us, directly or indirectly, through your use of our Site, at face to face fundraising events, through associated fundraising applications, associated social media platforms and/or accounts from which you permit us to collect information; and
- any other personal information requested by us and/or provided by you or a third party.
We may collect these types of personal information directly from you or from third parties.
Collection and use of personal information
We may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- to enable you to access and use our Site, associated applications and associated social media platforms;
- unless you choose to opt-out, to publicly acknowledge your donation including (without limitation) on our Site, on a donor wall, in our reports or via other stewardship channels;
- to contact and communicate with you and enable you to receive information about our goods, services and programs;
- to enable you to donate to us and for us to generate and provide receipts for your donations;
- to send you a one-off card notification or receipt of a donation gift made on your behalf (if your details are collected from a third party for this purpose we will only use them for this purpose and our card notification will act as our notice to you of the collection);
- for internal record keeping and administrative purposes;
- for analytics, market research and business development, including to operate and improve our Site, goods, services, programs, associated applications and associated social media platforms;
- to run competitions and/or offer additional benefits to you;
- for advertising and marketing, including to send you promotional information about our products and services and information about third parties that we consider may be of interest to you;
- to comply with our legal obligations and resolve any disputes that we may have; and
- to consider your volunteer, contractor or employment application, provide training and communicate future opportunities.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
We may disclose personal information to:
- third party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide their services, including (without limitation) those who assist in processing our donations, IT service providers, data storage, web-hosting and server providers, debt collectors, maintenance or problem-solving providers, marketing or advertising providers, professional advisors and payment systems operators;
- our volunteers, contractors, employees, or related entities;
- other Australian charities to enable them to send you information about their goods, services and programs that they consider may be of interest to you;
- sponsors or promoters of any competition we run;
- anyone to whom our business or assets (or any part of them) are, or may (in good faith) be, transferred;
- courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities and law enforcement officers, as required by law, in connection with any actual or prospective legal proceedings, or in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights;
- third parties, including agents or sub-contractors, who assist us in providing information, products or services to you.
- third parties to collect and process data, such as Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, Hotjar, Google Optimize and social media pixels. This may include parties that store data outside of Australia; and
- any other third parties you authorise us to disclose personal information to.
By providing us with personal information, you consent to the disclosure of your personal information to third parties who reside outside Australia and acknowledge that we are not required to ensure that those third parties comply with Australian privacy laws.
How we treat personal information that is also sensitive information
Sensitive information is a sub-set of personal information that is given a higher level of protection under the Australian Privacy Principles. Sensitive information means information relating to your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion, trade union or other professional associations or memberships, philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation or practices, criminal records, health information or biometric information.
We will not collect sensitive information about you without first obtaining your consent.
In certain circumstances with your consent we will collect de-identified health information for the purposes of compiling a database of information on breast cancer treatment in Australia and other related purposes.
Sensitive information may also be used or disclosed if required or authorised by law.
Your rights and controlling your personal information
Restrict: You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information for direct marketing purposes. If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by contacting us using the details below.
Access: You may request details of the personal information that we hold about you. An administrative fee may be payable for the provision of such information. In certain circumstances, as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), we may refuse to provide you with personal information that we hold about you.
Correction: If you believe that any information we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please contact us using the details below. We will take reasonable steps to correct any information found to be inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or out of date.
Complaints: If you believe that we have breached the Australian Privacy Principles and wish to make a complaint, please contact us using the details below and provide us with full details of the alleged breach. We will promptly investigate your complaint and respond to you, in writing, setting out the outcome of our investigation and the steps we will take to deal with your complaint.
Unsubscribe: To unsubscribe from our e-mail database or opt-out of communications (including marketing communications), please contact us using the details below or opt-out using the opt-out facilities provided in the communication.
Storage and security
We are committed to ensuring that the personal information we collect is stored securely, whether in electronic files, in hard copy or in the cloud. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the personal information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Cookies and web beacons
We may use web beacons on our Site from time to time. Web beacons (also known as Clear GIFs) are small pieces of code placed on a web page to monitor the visitor’s behaviour and collect data about the visitor’s viewing of a web page. For example, web beacons can be used to count the users who visit a web page or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a visitor viewing that page.
We may use Google Analytics to collect and process data. To find out how Google uses data when you use third party websites or applications, please see www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/ or any other URL Google may use from time to time.
Links to other websites
For any questions or notices, please contact our Privacy Officer at:
Email: [email protected]
Last update: 24 March 2019